My mom used to say that getting old is not for sissies. She is right. We have to fight to stay healthy and in shape. During menopause, it is easy to slack off and then all of a sudden you wonder what the heck happened. So working out in some manner is a must!
Working out at the gym is great for a lot of reasons. You have at your disposal all the exercise equipment you could ever desire, without having to purchase it yourself. You can access trained professionals that help your fitness efforts head in the right direction. You can also meet others like yourself, possibly making some new friends in the process.
But gyms can be crowded. Maybe you are uncomfortable at a gym. Plus, monthly and yearly fees can get expensive. And of course, you have to travel to and from your gym or health club to even start your workout.
That is why I choose to workout at home. A simple jump rope provides a great exercise alternative. Check out the following 9 benefits of working out with a jump rope to understand just how effective this simple fitness tool is for helping you get back into shape.
9 Benefits of Working Out With A Jump Rope
1. Jumping rope is a crazily effective fat burning exercise. You are strength training and enjoying cardiovascular workout at the same time. Perfect for killing calories and feeding your fat burning furnace.
2. Since jumping rope is a weight-bearing exercise, it improves bone density. This is important for men and women, but especially for women because they naturally run a higher risk of developing osteoporosis.
3. Jumping rope is a very time efficient way to exercise. Just 10 minutes of skipping rope equals a brisk 45 minute run. (British Rope Skipping Association)
4. Skipping rope does not put as much pressure on your joints as running.
5. You work out your entire body. Very few exercises deliver as much “whole body” benefits as simply skipping rope. Your abdominals and core are strengthened. You obviously use your calves and thighs for jumping. Your arms and shoulders are engaged, and your chest and back get a workout as well.
6. Few exercise routines are as cost effective as skipping rope. Once you buy your rope, there is no more cost involved other, than a great pair of shoes.
7. Skipping rope improves your flexibility and balance. This means your coordination benefits also. When you are flexible and well-balanced, you minimize your chances of suffering an injury while you are working out and simply moving through your normal daily routine.
8. One hour of jumping rope burns between 1,000 and 1,250 calories.
9. If you jump rope regularly, you improve muscle tone and definition in your arms, chest, and legs.
I know my body can benefit from all of these awesome reasons to use a jump rope during a home workout. A wonderful warm up or cool down method that offers a ton of health benefits.
When was the last time you jumped rope? Why not be a kid again and give it a try!